Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Laptops are Coming!

Hmmmm....where do I begin my response to this article.

Let's begin with a summary.

This article was centered around a teacher being frustrated by the misuse of technology in her school. Instead of creating a more cohesive community the technology distanced language learners. The computers allowed students to isolate themselves from the group. The author also stated her frustrations about her constant vigilance as to what content the students were looking up on the internet and felt that her classroom had gone from one of learning and cooperation to one of isolation where she had to "police" what students were doing. She ended the article by saying that if she had to do it all over again she would encourage their district to fully plan out how the computers would be implemented in the classrooms and address all aspects of the program before implementing it.

Now for my reaction.....(I have lots to say)

As a One-to-One program leader in my school I think that the integration of computers has been probably the most valuable addition to our school in the past few years. When I first heard that we were going to get fancy new laptops I was very resistant. I had very little knowledge about computers and was, yes, intimidated by the expectations of my district and of my principal. I had no idea how I was going to integrate technology into my curriculum and I looked at the program as just as something else I would have to manage.

When all the One-to-One leaders went to the district training we were still intimidated. We all left interpreting the expectations of our district and of Apple differently. I put the computers in the hands of my students and there were immediate issues that arose. Many students stayed up all night chatting with friends and were definitely not using the computers for homework. I felt frustrated. Then, four out of six computers needed repairs due to negligence. It was then that I really sat down and started thinking about whether this program was worth all the headaches and how I could change aspects of it to make it more worthwhile.

I feel bad that the author in the article felt that the computers were creating distance among her learners. In my experience, the laptops have been instrumental in creating and solidifying a more effective classroom community. I see students sharing ideas and helping each other figure stuff out. They share jump drives, talk about podcasts, tell each other about cool websites and so much more. I love watching my students interact with each other.

As far as monitoring the computers...I think it is all about how the teacher explains and present the monitoring software to the learners. I've used my monitoring program not as a way to catch them doing something bad but as a way to enhance learning. I can see what my students are doing at all times on their computers and they know it. They will often ask me to look at their screens to see if they are doing something correct or will ask me to take control of their computer to help them understand how something is done. I can also chat with my students on the program and I have used it numerous times to help students and to talk to students about what they are struggling on without ever uttering a word.

I was surprised to read that the learners themselves wanted the laptops gone. I think that if the laptop program is so unsuccessful that even kids don't want it the district really needs to take another look at it. As with any other learning tool, computer usage really needs to be monitored by the teacher. If she has a party and no one is talking and everyone is just on the computer then the teacher needs to establish more structure about when it is and is not appropriate to use the computers. Students need to be knowledgeable about social etiquette and part of having the computers is teaching them how to use it responsibly.

McFarlane, S. (2008). The laptops are coming! The laptops are coming!, Rethinking Schools, 22, 22-26

No comments: