Monday, October 20, 2008

Testing the Test

Every time I design a test or project I have this underlying sense of dread. What if everyone fails? What if I haven’t prepared students correctly? What if everyone bombs it and I have to make a new test?

I really hate the reading curriculum in our school district. The tests at the end of each unit are constructed mainly of fixed response format items in the form of multiple-choice items, fill in the blank, matching, true/false, short answer and essay. It takes me almost as long to prepare my students for the tests as it does for them to read one or two of the stories in the book and to go through the entire comprehension process. There are many times I hand student a test and I still get incorrect answers to questions I went over in class only a day before and I feel frustrated. As a lover of reading I felt that some of my most wonderful reading moments in school happened when I was allowed to draw my own conclusions and create projects and assignments that showed the rest of the class how I felt about the book and how I related to it. I hated the reading tests that I would get in high school and college where I was supposed to match definitions and talk about the literary elements. Sure, students need to know that stuff, but I think there is a lot to be said in giving them the tools for discovering those things and then allowing them room to discover them. Students are supposed to know about theme and literary elements but I feel that what we are doing is forcing them to regurgitate information instead of discovering it for themselves in a meaningful way.

Another beef I have with our district are the proficiency tests that we give our students. The problem that I have seen so far with tests and giving tests is that most of the time the examiners vary in terms of how they judge the test. Quite often, the way the teacher grades or determines if a student is proficient may not be how the next teacher sees it. This causes a lot of frustration in our district.

One thing I reacted strongly to in this chapter was the idea that tests are validated enough to satisfy the politicians and other stake holders. After watching two students struggle through the HSGQE this past week I can’t help but feel angry that the people who decide if the test is good aren’t the ones sitting in a room for 5 or more hours trying to pass it so they can get a high school diploma. Yet, these students don’t have a say. They aren’t being asked how they felt about the test or given alternative opportunities to show that they are proficient in a content area. I also reacted to the fact that many tests aren’t validated because validation is hard and technical and expensive. I’m glad that all those people were able to get high school diplomas before this silly idea of high stakes testing came into play. Do you think they would still feel it too much of a burden if they had to begin more high stakes tests in their lives. Perhaps every time they wanted a raise or were up for a promotion they had to sit in a little room taking a test that they may or may not be prepared for and have that feeling in the pit of their stomach that they are running out of opportunities to pass the test. Perhaps if they sat in a student’s chair sweating it out they would think differently about the expense of making sure the test is valid.

1 comment:

languagemcr said...

Erin,
You bring up an important problem. The stakeholders want numbers. They usually don't want to take the time to read a narrative that tells them so much more. But those kinds of tests give the kind of consequential validity that is needed to make changes. What to do?
Marilee