Monday, September 22, 2008

Language Testing: Chapter 1

As I was reading the introduction to this book I couldn’t help but think of all the different tests I have been a part of in my 28 years of life. I remember being in elementary school and middle school and taking the good old standardized tests that were so widely mentioned in this chapter. I remember hating them and not really caring about what my score was but never having the guts to just fill in any old bubble like my brothers all claimed to do. I also remember feeling that sense of elation when, at conferences, my teachers would pull a sheet of paper out with tests scores on it and say I did well. Yay!! Then I took my driving test when I was 16 (I passed on the third time), my Praxis tests, essay exams, and every single college exam (just to name a few). Our society does focus around tests quite a bit.

One thing that kind of stood out for me in this chapter as I read it was that “language testing is relevant both for those actually involved in creating language tests, and also...for those involved in using tests or the information they provide, in practical and research contexts.” I ashamedly admit, that when we give our annual language test I really have no idea what that information does. We test the students, we tell them to do their best and I never see a report of any kind and the only feedback I get is whether the students are still LEP status or not. I have also given part of the language test and I have to say, that I think it is pretty silly. I also feel kind of bad for some students when they are listening to the professor or teacher talk and then they have to answer questions. About a quarter of the way through these students look at me, all panicky and I can see that they are just lost. I can’t do anything to help them out and all I can do is smile and try to convince them that this test (which we’ve made a big deal) really isn’t such a huge deal and to just do the best they can on it.

After reading this chapter I hate multiple-choice tests even more. However, I use them as a teacher. I use multiple-choice and fixed response tests in my classroom more as a way for students to practice for their standardized tests and to teach test taking skills to my students. I hate typing that. I feel like I’m letting a horrible secret out by saying I give multiple-choice tests. “Hello, my name is Erin and I’m a multiple-choice test giver.”

I do believe strongly that students should be able to self-assess themselves and to evaluate themselves as learners. I have students design their own rubrics in the classroom and the writing workshop I use focuses heavily on self-reflection at the end of each workshop. I really feel encouraged by what my students have already shown me in the classroom and I do want to continue encouraging them to reflect upon their learning and to determine their own capabilities as students.

One important aspect of this chapter is that performance tests can somewhat recreate a certain situation or tasks but that it can never be real. Although we can work to make testing seem as painless and as normal as possible the people being tested still know it is a test and therefore a whole host of behaviors could potentially influence the results and the validity of the tests.

Tests are all about inferences. Test takers are constantly making inferences about how they should answer and the raters are making inferences about how the test takers, based on their performance will act or behave in a certain situation.

No comments: